Wednesday 12 March 2014

How can I improve my verbal communication?

Picked up this answer from Quora..

1. Practice writing out your answers using Quora:
I'm serious, there is not a question in Quora you can't find. If I'm tasked for a speech or speaking engagement, I'll often go to Quora, find a similar question and write an answer for it, making iterations over time.

I think writing consistently and being able to structure out your answer in an almost "muscle-reflex" capacity has enabled me more "time" to articulate and push my logic further.

2. Ask yourself all the hard questions and answer them out-loud:
I do this very often. When I'm at home, I'll ask myself a hard question that's very relevant to my current work or industry and will give myself time to answer them out-loud.

First time I did this, I couldn't string together four sentences intelligently but after being diligent with it, I actually enjoy addressing those topics and revel in taking a different direction to the subject altogether.

3. In reference to #2, record yourself:
Like how a singer will record him/herself singing and monitor it, making a conscious effort to assess your speech patterns is great for improving how you talk.

You'll be more cognizant of how you vocalize and project your voice and message.

4. Listen to and watch intelligent speech, people and mimic
Something I did for years and years and I still do. You can download pod-casts of Business Week, Economist pretty easily; the speakers and writers there are a very high caliber so mimicking their speech patterns can really help.

I constantly watch TV shows in English. Shows like the Westwing to weekly content like 60 Minutes are very entertaining but also demonstrate good language structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment